Sunday, October 10, 2010

Am I really complaining about the quality of coca cola light while being surrounded by pastries, crepes, and croissants?

Ahh so once again it has been a whole week since I've written a new post. This is both good and bad: good because I am so busy having fun but bad because so much has happened since the last post!

But first of all, I must say how proud I am of my sister, Mackenzie, for running her first marathon in Chicago today!!! She even finished in under four hours!! I have been bragging to all of the other teachers, my roommates, and even a few classes that my sister ran over 40 kilometers at once! Many French women and men believe that exercising once or twice a week is quite an accomplishment, and when I told them this their jaws quite literally dropped! Congratulations, I am so proud of you!! :)


I started doing some observing and teaching this week! I was definitely a little bit nervous about starting, mainly because I was worried about discipline problems and establishing myself as a teacher, rather than a peer for the students (the students are ages 15-22).  So far, this has not been a problem at all.  The kids are so sweet and are very enthusiastic about learning English.  They were so happy to hear that I was from the United States.  They had all sorts of questions for me about Lady GaGa, Justin Beiber, my friends and family, etc. Those of you who know me well know that I know next to nothing about celebrities and celebrity gossip. I remember one time in a language class I had a few years ago we were learning about comparisons.  The teacher showed me two pictures of celebrities, and I was supposed to say ___ is taller than ___.  I had no idea who the men were, and the whole class laughed at me when I confessed this.  It turned out they were Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt.  Whoops.  So I think I may need to read up on some celebrity gossip to appease these kids (gulp).  But I am very happy with what I have seen so far.

Me, Ali and Ashley at the Of Montreal concert this weekend.
On Thursday night I went to the theatre with my friends.  We saw a play called "Alice et cetera."  Since it was in French, I am rather clueless as to what it was even about.  But the audience laughed a lot so I assume it must have been a rather humorous play.  Then on Friday night I went to an "Of Montreal" concert in Lille with some other friends.  Of Montreal is known for putting on really outrageous and lively shows, and they did not let us down. I posted an (accidental) video of them below.  I meant to take a picture of them, but had it in video mode...and it was the only "picture" I thought to take of them...so voila! In addition, the venue was really neat and offered "gobelets" of beer for only 2 euros, which is extremely cheap for Europe.  Then, on Saturday night I went to see "Mange Prie Aime" (Eat Pray Love) at the cinema in Douai.  It was in French, but because I have read part of the book (I hated the book), I could follow along relatively well. 




I think that rather than elaborate on some of the more mundane details of my life, I will create a list of some observations I have made about life in France. 

1) Speaking in a foreign language all day is EXHAUSTING. Since my roommates are from all over the world, French is really the strongest foreign language for everyone (excluding myself of course).  I sleep like a baby on days that I speak a lot of French.

2) The "kiss cheek, kiss cheek" French method of greeting friends is not something I like. I feel like there is this ingrained security alarm that is designed to alert all Americans of foreigners who wish to invade that comfortable zone of personal space with their mouths. This is something that I am going to have to get used to. I was at the gym on Friday morning, and this blond springy woman flounces into the gym and proceeds to enter the weightlifting area and kisses all the men on the cheek (they are all sweaty) and then on to the cardio equipment where I am.  Luckily she skipped me, but went to the woman on the treadmill next to me, and they attempt to kiss each others' cheeks while one of them is walking on the treadmill, and the woman almost fell off the treadmill TWICE.  Is it THAT important? Why not a simple "Bonjour?"

3)  I love going to aerobics classes that are taught in French! It is so much fun! I was so nervous the first time I ventured into the group fitness room, but the women were all so nice and the routines were a lot of fun! I am so excited to have found a gym that offers several aerobics classes per day, even if it is a 25 minute walk (one way) from my apartment). 

4) I would do some crazy things for a real Diet Coke (none of this Coca Cola Light crap) with ICE.  Drinks are never served with ice here, much to my chagrin. 

5) I am so, so happy to be here.  Sometimes I have these fleeting yet overwhelming moments where I fully comprehend just how amazing this experience is and how lucky I am right now.  I know deep down that one day I am going to look back at this experience and see it has such a happy and special time in my life.  I know I am only 23 years old right now, and I don't want to sound like a friggin' mushy gushy fakey person, but I have just felt so happy these past few weeks.  I am so content and satisfied with what has happened in the past, I am living for the moment, and I look forward to the future with so much excitement.  It is a wonderful thing to truly experience what it means to be content, if only for a second at a time.

Anyway, I love you all and miss you lots and lots!! I am currently practicing the French phrases needed to send packages home with my roommates, and I am ALMOST confident enough to do it.....so chocolates and goodies will be coming your way soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment